How does one soul search? Where does soul searching even begin? What is soul searching and why is it so important? I mean, why are we even on this planet? I can’t seem to put it into words but I’ve had this feeling in the pit of my stomach since I was probably in high school. Maybe even before. And now, I want to know the answers to these lingering questions. When did I start not being true to myself? When did I start letting others dictate my life and my path? When did I let fear and others plan my life for me? How far back do I go to find truth and meaning? Would I go back to a time before stress existed in my life, before I was ever bullied by others? When did people start actually having an influence over every choice I made? As soon as I came into the world I was surrounded by family. I was surrounded by people who would raise me and love me but who would have to make decisions for me because I was too young to do it myself. My subconscious mind, without me even realizing, was already being influenced. But I have to remind myself that there’s something beneath the surface. There’s the beginning where our souls existed, where they still exist. Underneath all our thoughts and all the chatter lies our soul. Our true selves are inside of us but we have to dig deep to find it. We still may never understand the meaning of life but if we live from our soul’s purpose, from the beginning, maybe we will be close to finding it. And it also depends on what you believe in. I’m a very spiritual person and this is what I have come to find that benefits me. These 10 steps will help start the process of becoming more connected to our spirit, where our soul searching can begin. We can start listening to ourselves and make decisions that work for us. Quiet the chatter, quiet the outside influences, and dig deep.
- Meditation- sitting in a quiet environment, quieting the mind, focusing on your breath, visualizing every part of your body, your energy, your spirit, and falling into a space in the mind that allows you to be fully exposed. When your mind is open you allow images and thoughts to just flow in and out. They will make their presence known to you. If you allow yourself to fall deep enough, you will get the answers you need. I prefer to meditate listening to calming music and sometimes I do guided meditations as well. It’s all about finding the time and setting 10-15 minutes aside to get focused. Breathe and let go.
- Writing- writing at odd times by the way is the best. My best articles come to me at 3 in the morning or when I first wake up and there’s no noise in the house yet. Everything is still and calm. When you write, ideas and thoughts come to you. Writing makes you open up and go to a place that may be closed off to others. It makes you get the crap that’s in your head down on paper. And when you see it and read it back to yourself you have these aha moments. You see what it is you’re thinking about and you are able to break it down. There’s a cleansing that comes along with writing.
- Being alone (balance) – giving yourself the space to be alone, to meditate and to write or to just sit. People need answers and reasons for everything now-a-days but sometimes the reason for not wanting to do something is just because you need a mental health day. It has nothing to do with them and everything to do with you. We have to understand and not make excuses or lie. Just start being real and say I can’t go out today. I want to give myself a break. We need balance in our lives.
- Jumping right in- To start the soul searching process I’d say do something you’ve always wanted to do but were afraid to. Or even better something other people tried to talk you out of, as long as it’s not harmful to you or others. Remember this is your life to live, your path to take. So take it. Jump right in.
- Vision board- this will help you on your quest to finding your souls purpose. Seeing everything you want, everything your passionate about in front of you, glued to a piece of paper you can look at every day will make you intentional. You will manifest everything you truly want. If you’ve never done this before, it will seriously change your life. Grab a bunch of magazines, light a candle, relax, get scissors and glue, and start cutting out images that speak to you. How do you want your life to look like? How do you want to feel? Where do you want to live? The list goes on and on. Start cutting out images and glue them to a poster board or construction paper. Whatever works for you is fine. I also use Pinterest.com a lot to create vision boards. You can even create vision board boxes. Go with what is comfortable for you, whatever works to get centered and intentional. Start creating your goals. See them and believe in them.
- Childhood dreams – what did you love doing when you were a kid? What did you want? Dig deep and try to see a time before the influences took over. What activities were exciting for you as a kid? What did you dream about doing? Get in touch with your inner child.
- Gratitude- Practice gratitude everyday day. Write it down in a journal. What are you grateful for? What do you have that others don’t? Are you breathing clean air? Are you drinking clean water? Do you have food on your table? Be grateful and feel this in your soul. Stay present and always remember how life is short, don’t take for granted the people and things that you have right now.
- Your energy- Be connected with your energy. What are you feeling? Get into a happy space, a good feeling space. Try Chakra balancing or EFT (Tapping). I’m new to both of these methods but I look forward to trying it more in depth. I’ve heard amazing things about tapping. The worst thing to feel is bad energy. Cleanse yourself and feel amazing. Eat healthy food, exercise, and feed your body with nutrition and positivity.
- Tarot cards- Doreen Virtue has the best Angel Oracle Cards. They are inexpensive and on Amazon. When I really want to connect to my soul, I give myself a reading. Some people may not be into this one, but be open to it. The cards are what you make of them. How you interpret them is up to you. Again, it’s all about your energy.
- Daily affirmations- Affirmations are so important. Check in with yourself. Are you saying critical things to yourself all the time? The words you choose to speak are powerful. Start with a simple I am amazing and I lovingly accept myself. Choose kind words to say. You may not believe what you’re saying at first but you’ll get there. Fake it till you make it. Louise Hay, author of You Can Heal Your Life, has the best affirmations in her book. You can find videos on youtube.com about it or purchase her book on amazon.com.
When you dig deep and connect to your soul, your true state of being, you see clearly. Your intentions are clearer and you manifest all you want. No one is telling you what to do but you. So turn off the outside voices influencing you and listen to yourself. Listen to that voice inside and start living your own story. And remember, spread love and kindness always.